Changing my name officially to Mrs

I have found the main drawback to getting married is changing my name over, 
Ok I changed my name on facebook straight away but that was it, I never actually thought about anything else until the other day, I applied online for my D1 to change my driving licence and the form arrived the next day so that was posted off on Friday along with an original copy of my marriage certificate. (thankfully a name change is free for driving licence as originally I thought it would be at least £17) , along with my prepayment certificate for prescriptions (they accept a photocopy) as we have to pay for them as well and as I get so much a month it was cheaper paying for a yearly certificate.  
So Tomorrow I have the fun job of going around the town with a copy of my marriage certificate and an original,  for council tax I need to show the original, for the electoral roll, they want a copy but I have to provide it. 
The dentist (already done as I had to take Alex there on Friday to get his braces checked. just took my word for it. but the doctors want me to go in with the original copy of my marriage certificate. 
I have filled in my V5C for my vehicle registration but not sent it off yet as I need to call the insurance company on Monday and find out if I have to send a copy of my marriage certificate off first or I may find myself not having full cover if anything happened because my insurance and log book are in different names. although I will tell them my licence has already been sent off. I have just called my life insurance company and they need a photocopy sent to them. again if I hadn’t of informed them, any claim may have been invalid.
The amusing one is the school’s  bearing in mine they have called me Mrs, and used the boy’s surname for years.  now want to see a copy of my original marriage certificate to change my name on their files.   
I have to take an original into the housing association on Monday as well to show them. 
the banks want to see the original,  I am with British gas and they took my word over the phone so my bills will be amended but the water company want proof. 
HMRC take my word for it online which is the one I assumed would want a copy of the marriage certificate.  hence why I got 3, one to send off for my driving licence, one to HMRC and one to keep to show anyone who needed to see it. 
I won’t bother with my mobile/cell phone as I am on GiffGaff PAG 
That leaves catalogues to be done, credit cards to be done. apparently. I need to call the catalogue so I can do that on Monday. although the credit card’s I will call them on Monday and find out what I need to do. 
Hopefully,  I can sort out all this tomorrow and that will be done, once and for all, 
My passport has expired years ago,  and I doubt I will be needing it for quite a while so I will deal with that when the time comes, 
I know one thing, If we get divorced I am keeping my married name lol there is no way I want to go through all this again. 

oh and one more job I need to do when we can afford the £10 each for new ones. Apparently, I need to legitimise the boys and get new birth certificates for them so it shows their parents are married.  this was something the registrar mentioned when we got married and she asked if we were both the boy’s natural parents.  I had never even heard if it..   so anyway after searching the net and trying to think of everything I could. I have put a checklist below. it may help someone else who is as clueless as I was. 

Image result for change to married name

  • Passport, Brides can get this done before their wedding. All applicants can collect a form at most post offices and must apply for a new 10-year passport.
  • Car registration. Complete section 6 of your V5C Registration Certificate and return.
  • Electoral roll. Apply at your local electorate office. Some areas allow name change by mail.
  • Breakdown cover, car, appliances etc. 
  • Housing if you rent
  • Local council. For council tax. Call your local council office to learn the procedure.
  • Utilities (gas, electricity, water)
  • Communications (home phone, mobile, internet, pay TV)
  • Mortgage, credit and store cards, building societies, investment accounts
  • Insurance (home, contents, health, life)
  • Memberships (frequent flyers, loyalty, shopping, professional, sports, alumni)
  • Health (doctor, dentist, specialists, prepayment plans )
  • Property titles (not essential for marriage or reverting to maiden name)
  • Online (Facebook, Ebay, PayPal, LinkedIn)
  • Professionals (accountant, solicitor)
  • Other (subscriptions, real estate office, etc)
  • Catalogues and online shopping
  • Update your will
  • Library card
  • Driving license can be updated by mail. Pick up a D1 ‘Application for a driving license’ form at most post offices.
  • Bank accounts and cards. Most banks with large branch networks need your original proof of name change in person at a branch. Contact smaller banks directly to learn their procedures.
  • HMRC can be done online. You’ll need about 25 minutes and some reference numbers (ie: National Insurance, PAYE or tax payer reference numbers) before starting the process.
  • Your employer. Speak with HR, your boss, IT or your office manager. You may need your email address, directory listings and business cards updated.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s